Sunday, September 23, 2007

Now This Feels Foreign

Do you know how long it's been? Long enough that I forgot my username/password for Blogger. Ten to twelve tries later and here I am.

Miranda and Nancy, let me assure you that I've not (at least intentionally) forsaken this place. On the contrary, I offer you the following rationalization: Not wanting to offer up to the few readers out there absolute garbage, which is normally all my mind can muster these days, I'd decided that I would postpone posting until the day came when enough mental energy was present to present something presentable. As I told Shawn and Jeremy in an email recently, I pretty much read 'till my eyes bleed these days, and that just doesn't leave much left in the tank when it comes to blogging (still cringe when I type that word). So, in the immortal words of high school relationships -- it's not you; it's me.

I should be clear: I don't dislike reading 'till my eyes bleed, or at least until they're sufficiently tired. By and large, I have interesting things to read, and, as someone not prone to keeping good habits, I'm both proud of and empowered by the diligence grad school has somehow coaxed out of me. That said, diligence in other areas, namely posting, has lagged. I don't think it necessarily has to be a trade-off. But for these past months, I've been admittedly neglectful here.

I don't even have sweet photographs to help atone for my absence. You'll have to settle for old ones. I can say that there have been many things worth photographing lately, including a dandy of a morning tailgate at my cozy apartment, complete with breakfast casseroles, biscuits and gravy, mimosas, and more biscuits and gravy. (It is the South, you know.) And on Thursday, a fine get-together has been planned in honor of the season debut of The Office -- many fine baked goods ought to be on hand. But I have not photographed the former, and likely won't do so for the latter either, mostly because I'm just not given to photography. (The parents are now questioning why that digital camera was purchased...) I feel odd taking pictures, whether the subject or the artist.

This all leaves you with little but a few short paragraphs to account for life these days. I'll do my best to give a few more in the near future. In the meantime, here are memories of better days, when cameras and postings were more abundant.




5 comments:

  1. Welcome Back! Good to know you're still alive and well. As for photographing...just think about your kids and grandkids and great-grandkids some day in the future enjoy those pictures of their grandpa at college... O.k. I know it's hard to even imagine at your age, but some day they'll thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to have you back. I was starting to think something terrible had happened... good to know it was just reading that has kept you occupied. Gosh a party sounds fun... I too am excited about the office... alas I will be working that night... VCR recording it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I've looked forward to another post from my favorite blogger. Great to read your thoughts and words. I hope your reading requirements remain interesting and your social life even more so. Talk to ya later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Aar,

    It's great to see(or should I say,read you) again. I have to agree with Nancy about the pictures but I'm also a little selfish I want to see my boy(esp. when he so far away from home).It's great to talk to you but I miss seeing you and that part of your wonderful life. You have to post one with your new t-shirt we just sent you.
    Your in our heart and prayers everyday.
    Luv, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. And you said you didn't want to play fantasy baseball!? Congrats on your big win! Now all that's left is for our D-backs to be triumphant! If Herb and I get tickets will you join us for the World Series? Just wanted you to know...I Live For This!

    ReplyDelete