Have you ever watched The West Wing? You know, captivating drama about the innards of the Presidency. I always wished I was on that show. And while this will likely never come close to happening, I have been granted in recent days a little summer daydream of, in fleeting moments, what it might be like.
For a few months, I have been loaned off to a City Council office. I began last Monday. My days are generally tame -- researching why resident X's water bill was so high last month or explaining to resident Y why she can't house a small colony of feral cats in her backyard. (Was that revealing that I specified resident Y as "her"? My misogyny knows no bounds.)
But in it's more glorious moments, as I've come to consider them, I get the occasional transcendent Hollywood moment. It might come trying to craft an honest, yet diplomatic response to a neighborhood issue (channeling my inner-Sam Seaborn, if you will), or responding to a reporter's request for quotes for an upcoming story (what would Josh Lyman do?). For a brief moment, it feels like the best story, some yet un-felt drama unfolding before my eyes and hands and voice. A story that doesn't stop at the page but instead has seeped into my body, enveloping me. The story | is mine. It is fun to have fun sometimes, and I am thankful for this current bit of it. Particularly as it makes for one more episode of summer fun.
You pay homage to a favorite of mine! And I'm so excited for your West Wing-esque experience. I have always pictured you and Herb bantering it out after Herb has beckoned you with a blue rubber ball against your adjoining windows. Although I'm convinced "there are no two guys either one of you could take" I'm sure you both could offer the President a fighting challenge in a rousing game of chess. Needless to say I look forward to the witty banter that echoes that of a favorite haunt!
ReplyDeletewhen my life and hollywood cross paths it is a sweet moment indeed... I understand your excitement completely :)
ReplyDeleteI loved West Wing! I was sad to see it end, especially when there was a whole new presidency to explore. I can definitely see you in a real life West Wing some day, without a doubt. And after all, you are a red-head like Josh.
ReplyDelete