Many of my friends are taking a class that has a midterm on Monday. I am not taking this class. They are studying, even as we speak. I am not. These circumstances led to a Saturday with all kinds of free time for me and very little for my beleaguered friends. Not content to take my recently-returned freedom lying down, I decided to venture out into the Georgia countryside for some culture-absorption. The decision came down to heading north/northwest up to Franklin Springs/Royston for the Ty Cobb museum or east/southeast to Washington to see the Robert Toombs house. Interestingly, Cobb was born in a place the Narrows, Georgia, which apparently doesn't exist. That is, there's no place officially called the Narrows. That's just what people knew it as. So, we don't know exactly where Ty Cobb was born. I don't know this from going to the museum though -- I know it from Wikipedia (which we all know is a trustworthy source of information). I chose to head to Washington.
Robert Toombs was, among other distinguishing facts, the Secretary of State for the Confederate States of America (at least initially -- he gave up the post to become a brigadier general for the CSA, fighting at Antietam, which was awesome if only because he got shot in the hand and I got to see the bullet today),
Washington, the town, is just as picturesque. The architecture marks all the times past -- from late 1700s/early 1800s columns to late 1800s/early 1900s brick. I cannot imagine what it would be like to grow up in a town such as this. And I don't mean that it would be terrible. Quite on the contrary, I think there are probably some things that would be quite wonderful -- things that I may never get to experience should I remain a city-dweller for all my days. A sense of connection to the land; to each street; to each crumbling brick that you pass by every day. It's so easy for us to come into slow country towns and wonder how everything can be so "behind". But I am more and more able to understand why people might be unconcerned with "catching up". We post-modern consumers can get awfully stuck in the rut of progress, as we define it. I'm just saying that maybe we sell the idea short.
They were strange feelings I encountered in Washington. As though all afternoon I took turns swallowing sips of pain and fear, or bewilderment and awe, or contentment and ease, or the burgeoning sense of a world so much smaller than everything I've ever known. I think I could easily get to believing in ghosts in a place like that. There's too much opportunity -- too many creaky floorboards, too many overgrown oaks, too many cracked sidewalks mirroring storefront windows frosted with age. The question, then, is whether or not you could learn to live with the ghosts? Probably, with enough time. And then maybe the place becomes less strange -- less paradoxical and emotionally demanding. Until then, I walk around confused, without peace.
So, it was beautiful. Painfully beautiful. Distressing. Fascinating.
On the way home, I stopped at a roadside stand and tried boiled peanuts for the first time. It seems that you take a over-sized pot of water, dump a few kilos of salt into it, and then boil the living daylights out of peanuts. Despite this rather condescending description, they're kind of good. Much better when they're fresh out of the pot, nearly too hot to eat. At the same stand, I also had my first experience with scuppernongs.
And thus ends the trip to the country. I would like more time next time around, and perhaps a traveling companion or two. And a hammock and a pair of large, shady trees to it between. And a field to walk through. There's lots of those to go around 'round here. And dirt. The red kind. The clay kind. We'll talk about that at another time, but I think my feet were made for that red clay.
Gosh I love history!! What a lovely day you must have had!! Roadside americana is priceless... I get so excited when I wander off the beaten path and try something completely out of the ordinary. Enjoy your pear jam!
ReplyDeleteI've turned a slight shade of green - must be envy.
ReplyDeleteGorgeous account for what sounds like a gorgeous place. When I'm in places like that, I spend so much time imagining what it would have been like to live back in those old days. It's so awesome to see and touch all that history...sometimes I think I was born in the wrong decade. And growing up in a small town in the north, I do sometimes envy the slower pace, although after tasting the culture and amenities of the city, I think I'd need to have a larger city nearby so I could enjoy those treats sometimes too.
ReplyDeleteLove the architecture! Would love to see more pics too.