Saturday, July 26, 2008

Various Media

The dog is making funny noises, as though she intends to throw up. I hope she doesn't. I've been cleaning up more dog bodily (dog-ily?) fluids than I care to these days, what with a new puppy romping about the house. I think this paragraph just made me throw up in my mouth.

Various thoughts... One time, a good friend said something to the effect of, "You can't be good at everything." On the one hand, that's about as clearly true a statement as they come. I could start naming the things I'm not good at right now and be here for the next few hours.days.lifetimes. On the other -- and this was certainly the case at the time -- there's a sudden tug within me that says, "Don't you say that. I can be good at everything, and I intend to be." It's not really hubris, I don't think. It's more an issue of over-self-exaction. Simply, it's this: I'm loathe to admit that I cannot, for it stirs within me feelings of mediocrity, of self-worth(lessness), that I generally do my best to avoid (ironically enough, usually by trying harder not to fail -- and therein lies the grander irony: in trying hard not to fail, one sentences oneself to perpetual failure/disappointment). Life would be much happier if you weren't trying to be perfect.

I've got some pictures. Don't want to get too texty on you.

Savannah (River), GA. Classic.

Country roads, Garden's Corner, SC. It is my intention to, at some point in my life, spend a few weeks/months of each year in lowcountry South Carolina.

3 comments:

  1. Glad to have you back in blogdom, with pics and all!

    Fortunately, there are quite a few things that I have no desire to be good at...like calculus or physics or driving racing cars. My desire is to be good at loving others. I think that's something that will definitely take a lifetime to develop and hopefully be of benefit all the way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said that! I am so wise! I know I must have said it because it is one of my many catch phrases that help me deal with the disappointments in life. If I try hard and still fail I say "you can't be good at everything". Hey I tried. I think your parents raised you to think you were "special". thats the problem. They told you you could do/be/hang out with anyone and look were its gotten you. Thats why we will ground our children in the harsh realities of life at a young age. Telling them honestly if their artwork sucks or they just don't seem to be naturally gifted mathematically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm going to hope there was sarcasm somewhere in there.

    ReplyDelete