So this guy sung,
"And this is the chance I never got to make a move.
But we just talk about the people we've met in the last 5 years.
And will we remember them in ten more?"
I'm just saying that sometimes these posts feel the same way.
Like when I tell you about the weather. Or about the latest story from nights spent on the town.
But then, do you really want to hear about the things that have interested me most lately? Do want a few paragraphs about the subtle yet important differences between situational moderator variables and intervening (a.k.a. mediating) variables, particularly as they affect measurements of effective leader behavior? And what of the methodological shortcomings of social science research? Relying on questionnaire and other types of survey research, we run the risk of encountering a number of errors, each of which could destroy the validity of the research design. What if my interviewees, in attempting to determine their leader's most effective behaviors, instead just attribute to him those behaviors they assume are most important? While that certainly gives me a measure of social perceptions of effective leadership behavior, it doesn't at all get to an empirical measure of effective behavior. And that's just the beginning, you see. Because if we try to rely on other forms of research, particularly the experimental variety, we run into a host of reliability issues, most of which stem from the completely articificial testing environment of experimental designs. In the real world, there are so many variables at play, and each of them interact with the others in varying yet important ways. But we cannot seem to find ways to accurately assess and describe those relationships. DRAT!
And so you see, my friends, if I were to be honest, I'd have lost your attention long ago. So instead, we talk about the weather.
Cold and windy today, after a few days of vacation in the mid-60s.
So what are you going to do about the faulty research methods? Have you figured out where you are interning this summer?
ReplyDeleteWelcome to my world of science. Where if it isn't experimental method with a defined control and variable group it has no validity. Of course the drug company sponsored the study...
ReplyDeleteWe do wanna hear what tickles your fancy for the day or what the most grand story you can gleam from the tiniest details. We want to hear because we want to be part of your life even if we are so far away. It makes us feel closer, even if it is only a perception...
nicole t said, "We do wanna hear what tickles your fancy for the day or what the most grand story you can gleam from the tiniest details. We want to hear because we want to be part of your life even if we are so far away. It makes us feel closer, even if it is only a perception...
ReplyDeleteWell said Nicole! I've noticed a dearth of comments to your blog, and thought to myself, "Self! What are we gonna do about this!" I know that there are viewers (I think they're referred to as "lurking" in blogspeak) who check out your blog from time to time, but do not ever throw in their two cents worth. And I'm sure that a few of them have more than two cents worth to throw in! So, please, keep posting away my man! I love reading your adventures, your musings, your keen observations and rapier (it's a sword!) wit!
And you, lurking in the background there! Leave a comment now and then, if only to say "Hello!"