Thursday, February 1, 2007

Freezes, Thaws, and other Winter Metaphors

Today is a "snow day". Except replace "snow" with "ice" and "day" with "morning". Those pieces of rationality apparently pushed aside, the university decided to cancel classes. Now I'm not complaining or anything -- I haven't had so enjoyable a morning of reading in a long time -- I'm just saying that it's a pretty weak excuse for a snow day. Up north, there's snow aplenty, and I'm actually a little envious. Nevertheless, it's 2:00 and probably only 34 degrees out, so at least the winter jacket and scarf are getting a good workout.

What we experienced here in Athens was more of a freezing rain. See below.


Now forget what you just saw, because that's not how it is here. Again, the promise of our snow day has exceeded reality. I'm not complaining or anything...

In the meanwhile, I've gotten a wonderful amount of reading done, played some video games, and taken a delightful walk downtown. See, no complaints. I also won't be back in class until Monday, and I haven't had class since Tuesday (Wednesdays are days off, lucky for me). Thus, no school for nearly a week, which is a fortuitous turn of events, as I've got a goodly amount of work coming up, and Sunday will be lost to the Super Bowl.

That is te end of my snow day report. If anything changes (and it won't), I'll be sure to update.

2 comments:

  1. Bizarre!! A "snow" day in Athens and a rain day in Phoenix. Actually it was just cloudy and cold today, the rain happened yesterday. Nice picture you provided. Looks a little like what we had around these parts a couple of weeks ago.
    Enjoy your time off and even if nothing changes, you can still provide an update. Later . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pic!
    Ya, we had 81 degrees yesterday... not good.

    ReplyDelete