But I was not easy with the idea that the substance was slowly, but surely, becoming a sort of liquid nicotine, so I decided to try and lay off the stuff.Goodbye, diet soda (by the way, Big K's Diet Citrus Drop is delicious, in that this-is-better-than-Mountain-Dew-but-still-has-a-little-bit-of-that-strange-diet-aftertaste kind of way). Combined with a renewed devotion to running, that was an easy decision. But the coffee -- the espresso, in particular -- has been much harder to let go. "Perhaps," I thought, "I can use a little psychological trickery on the old ticker." It is at this point that I attempted to pay homage to Pavlov, his dogs, and an educational psychology class I took in undergrad. "If I just start drinking decaf," I reasoned, "my body, confused by the smell of the coffee, will think that it's being given caffeine, when in fact it is not!" My professor would have been proud, save for the fact that I apparently, and unsurprisingly, underestimated the power of chemicals. I never took biochemistry; what do you want from me?
Here's the point: it's $2.00 latte Wednesday. I thought of continuing the caffeine break and going with the cup of decaf to go -- it's cheaper that way anyway. But for a few cents more, I could get any size latte (did I not mention that it's an any-size-you-want deal?). Suffice it to say, I am now two shots of espresso deep and feeling fantastic. There's always tomorrow for confessions and penance...
Hey Aaron,
ReplyDeleteIf this helps with your decisions in the future(I have had the same conflict myself, just this morning) you can always get those lattes decaf too. It should work for your theory and mind should be blessfully fouled.
Love M
Wow, sounds like your coffee spot knows the ins and outs of drug dealing...Offer a $2 any size latte on Wednesday to get them hooked and they'll keep coming back for the full priced ones on the other days.
ReplyDeleteI'm all for moderation. Go with what physically is best for you and don't feel guilty if you have a cup once in a while. My doctor told me that even when I was preganant.
sorry about the last mis-spell. I tried to correct it before it posted, but I was too late.
ReplyDeleteI hate when that happens!