I almost began writing on the following topic yesterday, only to be convinced that I should hold my tongue, or fingers as it were, until I could more fully consider what it is I wanted to say. Later on in the day, I endeavored to do just that, but writing into the journal about it just wasn't working, so I jotted a brief email to a friend. That helped a bit, I guess, but nothing had become distinctly clearer. Then, as the topic arose during conversation with friends during the evening, that elusive clarity finally came forth.
The topic, which you're by now demanding, no doubt, is that of Ms. Jane Austen, her lovely works, and literature in general. I won't go into a written history of the rise and fall of my love for literature. Suffice it to say that the "fall" happened some time ago, and the empire hasn't since resurrected itself. There have been brief relapses, moments when she shone of former glory. But on the whole, like Mr. B.B. King has so passionately wailed, the thrill was gone.
A few months back, in a search for some media amusement, I swiped a copy of the most recent film adaptation of Pride and Prejudice. It being sufficiently enjoyable, I promptly picked up the novel and, with the exception of a brief hiccup for a week or two, plowed through it in relatively short order. It was fantastic in every way, completely bewitching indeed. Thus, I was rather forced to obtain another Austen work, this time choosing Sense and Sensibility. That one was devoured more speedily than the previous, and somewhere between Elizabeth and Elinor, Jane and Marianne, the thrill came back.
But I am worried now. As with the fire you've been tending to delicately, attempting to shield it from wind and waste, so now I feel as though the thrill might be extinguished just as quickly as it was stirred up, not by time, nor an excess of work, but by a misinformed selection of the next book to read. I can remember too clearly the sapping sense of apathy that overcame me in the midst of one book or another during high school. And I don't want to hasten its return with the selection of some ill-advised book. On the other hand, I certainly don't want to be formulaic, nor unadventurous, in my reading menu.
But getting back to the original point, I had been trying to figure out what had been the draw of Austen -- of how exactly it was that she had managed to crack the veneer and let in a light that had been too long lacking. I decided to read some critical essays of her work, her life, etc., and though interesting at times, they left me feeling less inspired rather than enlightened. So, in the note to my friend yesterday, I spattered about a few adjectives, hoping to catch on to something that could explain Austen's inexplicable attractiveness. "...hopeful, or redemptive, or, at the very least, never took themselves too seriously," were my characterizations. And then, that evening, a friend mentioned that she enjoyed Austen because of her "redemptive hope". Now, I have read that Austen should be considered "subversive", and I won't argue against that too heartily. I will argue, however, that, indeed, she has not yet failed to leave me with a sense of redemption, a sense of hope. Not that such things and subversiveness must be mutually exclusive, but they don't seem to be common bedfellows either. The point is that the glory of Pride and Prejudice, and Sense and Sensibility, is that they are neither cliche, nor oppositional; they admit our folly, our silly tendencies, and yet aren't so disgusted as to distance themselves from them, or claim detached superiority. It is for that reason that she's not truly Romantic, nor is she all cold, unfeeling Reason. And as someone apt to dwell in paradoxes myself, I find in Austen a comfortable listener, a friend with uncommon insight.
But where to turn now? There are many "approved" choices I could turn to, the Ulysses', D.H. Lawrence's and Virginia Woolf's, and ensure, at the least, no scoffing when relating what book I've been reading lately. But instead, I find myself drawn to more or less similar authors to Austen -- the Thackery's and James' and what not. After an initial trip to the library, I returned with Chinua Achebe's Things Fall Apart, Lawrence's Sons and Lovers, and, of course, Emma. But I am now unsettled about the Lawrence pick, thinking perhaps I should move in another direction, or at least give something else higher priority. Anything, as I've said, to not diminish the joy that has so recently returned. Someone mentioned last night that Woolf's To the Lighthouse made their mind twist and turn and wrench around in such a way, that they felt sanity's brink might not be far off. This is precisely the sort of thing I want, perhaps even need, to avoid. When my legs are stronger, more acclimated to the novel, of which I've been so long a stranger, I'll be more inclined, I think, to venture into such waters. But for now, it is Hope and Redemption. It is always Hope and Redemption, you know. So, let's start there.
Oh, my dear boy... I've been waiting for someone to ask--
ReplyDeleteMy favorite book right now is Lolita. Love it. And if you consider English is Nabokov's 3rd language, it's even more brilliant. He does things with words I don't think I've ever seen.
There's always perennial classics like Henry James, Toni Morrison, William Faulkner, Charles Dickens (I can't really stand Charles Dickens). ...
The books I could read over and over ... The Invisible Man (Ralph Ellison), Crying of Lot 49 (Thomas Pynchon -- one of the most bizarre books I've ever read), Edith Wharton (everything that I've read of hers is fantastic), The Great Gatsby (Fitzgerald), Mrs. Dalloway (Woolf), Howard's End and Room with a View (EM Forster), lots of Steinbeck, The Sun Also Rises (Hemingway). ... I really could go on and on.
Then there's the magic of Children's Literature (which I think is very under-rated). Aside from Harry Potter, I highly recommend the Lemony Snicket books, Anne of Green Gables (not just for little girls!) and Little Women.
All of these books are brilliant for their own sake, though admittedly different than Austen. Most of these books I have studied outside the text itself (class, articles, etc).
email me if you have questions --
amytschubert [at] yahoo
Other thoughts --
ReplyDeleteEasy but still beautiful reading (i.e. doesn't require deep analysis to figure out what you're reading)
Barbara Kingsolver (I like The Bean Trees and the Poisonwood Bible) -- very southwestern. You'll recognize AZ.
Anne Tyler (I like Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant) -- pretty much all her books are about... family dynamics. sweet, and at times a little heart-breaking.
John Updike -- the only books I've read of his have an unnatural amount of sex (at least compared to my other reading choices), but are always good. I like The Centaur.
Babbitt by Sinclair Lewis
The Octopus by Frank Norris
Seriously, somebody stop me.
On my blog, on the right, I keep a running list of the last 5 books I've read.
Oh my sweet friend!!! I have often tried to figure out why I completely adore Austen and you hit it on the head with, "Austen [is] a comforted listener, a friend with uncommon insight". I just feel like she accurately portrays woman... especially me. I am not jaded or have dark issues to over come, I am just a girl with some neuroses and general optimism about life. Austen is witty and real and does not shy away from poking fun at society, but doesn't degrade it. (make sure you watch the BBC Pride and Prejudice if you have not already... very faithful to the book).
ReplyDeleteMy book suggestion for you would be Jane Eyre... it is darker and more mysterious in plot style, but has that redemptive hope that Austen so beautifully holds to in her characters!
I am so happy that you love Jane Austen... just to forwarn you, I did not enjoy Mansfield Park and couldn't finish it... the movie did little to redeem it, but that is just me.
Reading Emma has not changed my mind on my favorite Jane Austen novel. As I started, all I could think of was Cher from "Clueless". I do love Emma's commitment to family and friends. And her willingness to admit to being wrong...both are admirable qualities!
ReplyDeleteFYI: I finished Emma this weekend-the Harry Potter weekend-because I was too cheap to buy 2 copies and Kevyn had first dibs....so I'll move from one group of our English friends to another when Kevyn is done.
(Copying and pasting to Aaron's blog from Katie's blog)