It was with some dolor that my class on data applications came to a close earlier today. I turned in to the professor, with no dearth of pride, the take-home final and final project, the latter of which was a splendid statistical analysis of winning in baseball. Who knew that regression outputs could be so captivating?
In honor of the class' passing, I'd like to pay homage to those clever little statisticians, who write clever, not-so-little statistics textbooks.
This from Kvanli, Pavur, and Keeling's Concise Managerial Statistics (2006, second italics added):
"...This is no longer a standard normal random variable, Z. However, it does follow another identifiable distribution, the t distribution. Its complete name is the Student’s t distribution, named after W.S. Gossett, a statistician in a Guinness brewery who used the pen name Student."
And with that unnecessary tidbit of information, the authors, bless their souls, revealed about statistics what must have been the thing that so captured me -- apparently, stats and Guinness go hand in hand. I'll toast to that.
Hey Aaron, I think Shawn mentioned that we are having a game night, dinner... maybe SUNS game... get together at our home Monday, May 14th! Jeremy will be coming... this friend of ours Emily, that we want everyone to meet and Miranda, Shawn & Nicole and Randy & I.
ReplyDeleteSO hope you can come!!
Looking forward to having you back in the Valley for a spell.
did you say Guinness? that schooling is really paying off!
ReplyDeleteyou'll be home soon!!! YAY!
ReplyDeleteBy golly, it WILL be a SUNS PARTY!!
ReplyDeleteThe SUNS play that night!! So I hope you can come join us for a wild and crazy night with your dearest friends!!
See you soon!
Linda, many thanks for the invitation; I'll be happy to join in the festivities. Go Suns!
ReplyDelete