Wednesday, June 20, 2007

The Buildings Are Tall in This Part of the City

Waiting for the day to begin -- a meeting with one of the original pursuers of the Portland light rail system. Perhaps he will say something to instill in me the hope that Phoenix's own version of the thing will prove as successful as the one here in Portland.

My internet is working very slow. Now, it's being provided for free by the City of Portland, so I can't complain too much. I just typed out a snarky sentence about being American and therefore having a natural inclination to complain, but the fear of reprisal, immediate or future, kept me from leaving it here for your consumption. Sorry -- it's a trust issue, I know.

Orientation has begun this week for my internship program, and it has been rather delightful. It's not 8:00 - 5:00, and it's not sitting in front of a computer, so that alone has won it favor in my eyes. Add to that the chance to meet friendly co-interns, take trips to Salem (today), and trade in slacks for jeans make this a week to savor. Truly, though, the week has been very good so far. I am enjoying the chance to talk to other people my age about our shared experiences. I don't think it's unfair to want, or to appreciate, being around people in similar situations as yourself. It's supportive, and in a new town and a new job and the like, such support is quite welcomed.

And, should you find yourself forced to buy a cup of coffee from Starbucks, perhaps because it was the only shop you could see in an unfamiliar part of a new city, go with the Serena Organic. It's not great, but there weren't any coffee grounds at the bottom of the cup either (unlike my last experience with this chain). Drinking Starbucks in this city should be blasphemy, and I should thus be burned at the stake. It was a move of desperation; that is my only defense.

No comments:

Post a Comment