The 405, by the way, runs through the center of Portland, so when he sings, "I took the 405 and drove a stake down into your center...," I feel as though I can somehow relate. But really, between you and me, it's the next line he sings that I think of most; "You keep twisting the truth [that keeps me thrown askew.]" You can't divine punctuation just from listening to the song. Did he mean to put a period after "truth"? If not, was it the "truth" that had been keeping him thrown askew? That seems odd, but then I'm not an artist either. Whatever the case, it seems that "truth", twisted or not, will keep on slipping through these clouds above, and while that may, indeed, keep me thrown askew, or at the very least a bit dizzy, I am happy that it sneaks through at all.
I don't have any new pictures of Portland, though I'm working on it. There are so many things that you need to see here. The view from the roof of the building I work in, spanning the rises and falls of the Portland skyline. The view from the roof of my own temporary dwelling, which on clear days lets you gaze out onto Mt. St. Helen's, Mt. Adams, Mt. Hood and time immemorial. This place feels so very three-dimensional. In Phoenix, the horizon is so long, the earth so often flat, that sometimes you're apt to forget about its depth (which, of course, it has much). But here you cannot avoid it; the trees cut and slice into the hillsides, up, down, and all around you. The proper sort of setting for a summer adventure, I suppose.
A pair of pictures for you: the other half of the room, and more evidence of the City of Roses.
Gorgeous roses!
ReplyDeleteTell us about your job.
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY FRIEND!!!! Hope you days are fantabulous!!!!
ReplyDeleteHey there... a little birdie told me that it was your birthday this week. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I hope you get to do something special to celebrate.
ReplyDeleteJust know that you're loved and that there are people who wish they could be there to celebrate with you!
Happy birthday week! We need your temporary addy to send your gift! Also did you know, they have a rose named "Nicole". "A rose by any other name would not smell so sweet..." Is that really the quote, like is that accurate or did I screw up the words? And what is that a quote from? Im sure I could google it, but in the end, would it be worth it. no. Just think "What a great quote Nicole had" ok? ok.
ReplyDelete