Well, Portland is here. This is Portland. This is the Old Pharmacy Cafe, open 24 hours a day and willing to put my peppermint tea into a small, personal-sized teapot. This is walking home from Trader Joe's to the strangest, empty apartment with the beautiful views. I've got to learn to stop praying from the hip. "Adventure" is what you want; adventure is what you will get. Less than 24 hours before my plane left Phoenix, I was without a place to stay. That was worked out, just like everything else has been -- unexpectedly, uncomfortably, but with an unavoidable sense that this is exactly how it should be. The song goes like this: "She said--to me--, 'Darling--, well please don't be so naïve." Perhaps it is naïve to think that things would work out smoothly, romantically. But there are moments, you know, when all you want is for things to go exactly as you'd hoped. Because what you'd came up with in your mind was sounding pretty damn good. Instead, you keep on waking to misty mornings.
But for now, I'll take it. Because I have nowhere else to go. I've been everywhere else, and there's nothing there. So here we stay. Here is the only place.
Here's pictures involving, in this order, flowers, Portland, the view, the room, and flowers:
I am glad for your adventure... great stories to carry with you on life's journey!!! What pretty flowers! your room is huge... but barren!
ReplyDeleteThanks Aaron for the pictures, it helps me to see you in my heart and mind better. Where you are living, working and spenting your time.
ReplyDeleteMay the unexpected turn to surprising pleasure, the uncomfortable change into a warming sense known and finally may all of this become the loved adventure of The Summer of 07.
Love Mom
I'm so glad to hear that you made it safely to the Northwest and that you have a roof over your head. I can't wait to hear about your job and your other adventures. Be sure to take pictures if you go fishing. Don't be shy. Feel free to remind Ernie about it if you don't hear from him right away.
ReplyDeletePraying for a grand adventure. Stay tuned for my latest jaunt to Ohio.
love you bro! embrace what is there and feel okay to long for what isn't. you're definitely brave and amazing and i can't wait to come see you!
ReplyDelete