Friday, June 15, 2007

The Terminator

I am sitting at McMenamin's, in particular their "Blue Moon" location, on NW 21st and Glisan. I am drinking a fine beer called the Terminator Stout, and it is at times like these that I realize what a fine life God has given us. Beer and wireless internet -- proof of the Trinity.

I am inclined to begin exploring, once more, the wonder that is Ms. Jane Austen. Finished Emma and, after only a little convincing of myself, decided that it is my favorite of the famous three novels she penned. But as I've well exhausted your capacity for Regency-era authoresses, I'll go down another path this evening.

It has been suggested that I talk a little of my job, and, though it's Friday night and not at all a time for thinking of work, I'm willing to do just that. I work for Metro Regional Government -- the latter two words in that phrase being the most important. Metro is an amazingly unique regional government entity. Typically, you have the state, then the county, and the the local government. Here, we have a "regional" government, which manages a number of affairs that, for one reason or another, didn't seem fitting for the local municipalities to take on. Thus, it's centered around regional planning -- parks, natural spaces, the Oregon zoo, and perhaps a few other areas random areas (for example, Metro apparently owns a golf course...God only knows why.)

In my little corner of the Metro world -- which, if I have my way, will soon turn into more of an burgeoning empire -- I'm working on an asset management / renewal and replacement program. Isn't jargon grand? It's like this: Metro has a bunch of crap; that crap is valuable; we don't always do a great job of keeping track of the crap; at some point, that crap will break. So, my job is to aid in the development of a system that can effectively account and plan for the future needs regarding of all the crap (technically, we refer to that crap as "assets", but what do you care?). Sound exciting? Well, it's a good thing I don't listen to you, because I like it just fine. I'm learning a ton of stuff about accounting and budgeting, although, with no background whatsoever in those areas, such bountiful learning is more a function of ignorance than catalytic opportunity. What you should be envious of is the fact that, at least twice a week, I've been spending my morning touring some beautiful Oregon park (or, on one particularly lucky day, the Oregon Zoo. Yeah, my boss took me there and said, "Okay, have fun." I did.) Should you ever make it to this fine region of the country, let me suggest Oxbow Regional Park -- like an Amazon rain forest, minus the Amazon.

Well, my pint is nigh empty, and that means we must end this discussion. Will he get another pint or not? Only time, and the bartender, will know.

Here are a few pictures I pilfered from someone else's site. Kind of robbed of the splendor of the place in person, but it's all I can give you for now: (many thanks to The Grich for these fine pics: http://thegrich.blogspot.com/2007/05/oxbow-regional-park.html)


3 comments:

  1. you have peaked my interest with Emma... if you would like a movie version I suggest Gwyneth Paltrow, but Kate Beckinsale also has a BBC version she did before fame took over. Your job sounds interesting enough... it is just nice to know you are happy where you are! I have been itching for a zoo excursion, but the blasted heat and thought of 3rd degree sunburn prevent me. Beautiful pictures!! I remember my vaca in oregon vaguely... what a beautiful part of the country

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having quite an adventure and at least you get to inventory assets in interesting places. Have fun with it!

    So have you heard from my friend about fishing yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have inspired me to read Emma. I started it on Saturday, so I'll let you know my final verdict about it's role in the Jane Austen trilogy. :-) I'm sure I'll enjoy it either way!

    ReplyDelete