Sunday, June 24, 2007

A is for All the Days I Thought of You

I'm thinking of Athens. I never would have expected, prior to leaving AZ last August, to find myself looking back so fondly on my new home. But so it has been since I arrived in PDX. The psycho-analysts out there will quickly suggest that my appreciation for Athens is only so acute because of the newness and anxiety that the move to a new(er) town has brought on. I won't argue them much on the point, not because I think they're right (I do, but only partially), but because, at the end of the day, I don't really care why Athens has become so dear. However it got there, there it now resides, and I care only to appreciate that blessing; sing a few praises to the Author; and listen to the songs that remind of that fine Southern town.

I stole these pictures from a fellow intern. It's quite fortunate that others are adept at taking pictures, because I rarely think to do it.

Here's my little cohort of "financial management" fellows at the Oregon State Capitol. Financial management deserves quotes because I have no right in designating myself someone who understands the concept. Social sciences, human services, assorted pop culture trivia -- sure. But financial management? Not so much. Nevertheless, Metro, my employer, thought it prudent to hire me for the summer, so a "fellow" I have become.

Here is a more direct picture of the golden man looming behind us in the previous picture. I don't know if he has a legitimate name; we called him "Oregon Man". I do know that he weighs a lot -- it took a few days, and an intricate pulley system (it was the 1930s) to hoist him atop the capitol building. He's adorned with new gold leafing every 15 years or so. He carries an axe in one hand and a wagon cover in the other, symbolizing Oregon's reliance on natural resources and pioneer roots, respectively. His body faces north for some reason unbeknownst to our guide, but his face looks out to the west, once again as a bit of tribute to Oregon's pioneering ways. He's also very shiny.

This is Willamette University. It's just to the south of the capitol building. It's nice and green, but then what isn't in this state? Those are the "star trees" in the center of the picture. See below for further explanation.

When you're in the middle of them, you look up to find a reasonably-decent figure of a star overhead. At Christmas time, they put up lights and it's all festive-like. On the summer solstice, they sacrifice a goat and then run like lemmings to the shores of the Willamette River, where they set it ablaze with a mixture of biodiesel and corn starch. That doesn't even make sense. Absurdist humor for you...

5 comments:

  1. Hey Aaron,

    I got your request for a better link, but need to find your email address. I'll work on that.

    Hey, we may be coming through Portland on our vacation so if things work out as we hope, maybe we can catch dinner or something. Once I find your email, I'll fill you in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we are both creating a longing in each other to return to past haunts. The beauty of your new homeis breath-taking and there truly are amazing sights that one hears about constantly. If I had any more summer left I'd hop a plane to visit you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LIKE absurdist humor. I'm a big fan of absurdists, heck I might even be one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Até mais.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote a post just for you on your favorite movie, which I finally saw!!

    ReplyDelete