Of course, fun music has its limits too. My friend recommended the new Japandroids album. Really fun, really catchy, good music for driving through warm summer evenings. But lyrics like...
These girls are all
Bikini Kill
We need a ride to Bikini Island
We run the gauntlet
Let's get to France
So we can French kiss some French girls
Let's get to France
So we can French kiss some French girls
...well, c'mon. I'm not given to poetry, much to my dismay, so my lyric interpretation skills probably aren't the keenest. But I dare you to make any sense of the lyrics above. "But perhaps there's no sense to be had?" Yes, I suppose, but that's not likely. Who sits down and says, "I'm now going to put together a smattering of words that, though creating a complete sentence, mean absolutely nothing about absolutely nothing."?
This perhaps explains my weakness for catchy songs with easily digestible lyrics. Talk about girls and the road and growing older. Whatever. Just so long as it's not apparent gibberish that may/may not have meaning. (And this probably gets to my real concern...and insecurity, as it were...that perhaps there is a great deal of meaning in lyrics that seem so bizarre at first, and I'm just too dull to find it.)
The name of that Japandroids song is "Wet Hair" and, in spite of insipid lyrics, is a pretty good listen.
This perhaps explains my weakness for catchy songs with easily digestible lyrics. Talk about girls and the road and growing older. Whatever. Just so long as it's not apparent gibberish that may/may not have meaning. (And this probably gets to my real concern...and insecurity, as it were...that perhaps there is a great deal of meaning in lyrics that seem so bizarre at first, and I'm just too dull to find it.)
The name of that Japandroids song is "Wet Hair" and, in spite of insipid lyrics, is a pretty good listen.
Plenty of words to describe you. "Dull" is not on that list.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you. I need the lyrics to make some sense. "'It's clowns allusions I recall, I really don't know clowns at all.' What does that mean?" Joe Fox from You've Got Mail's got it right, what do most lyrics mean? This is why I can't handle Herb's music: "That deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball." Okay, apparently I require realism with my logical lyrics. :-)
ReplyDelete