Wednesday, August 30, 2006

After the party it's the Waffle House...

No, seriously, after the party it really is the Waffle House. Ludacris wasn't lying. After a friendly get-together at one of the MPA's abode, a few of us set out for that beacon of light in the midnight sky - the Waffle House. Or, as I like to call it, the Waffle Hizzy. Or, as the locals call it, the WaHo. There really is nothing quite like a pecan waffle at 12:45 in the morning inside a Waffle House. Did you know there's a method to ordering hash browns as well? Apparently, you use terms like "chunked", "stacked", "gagged", etc. (just kidding about "gagged") All I know is that my friend spat out a mess of verbiage that meant nothing to me and he was soon awarded a plate of hashbrowns stuffed with ham, onions, and covered with cheese. It made me think of In N' Out's secret menu...oh, how I miss it...(soft weeping)

Meanwhile, the official opening to the college football season draws nearer. I'll refrain from talking to much about the actual game, as my excitement levels are definitely in the unhealthy range. Of more pressing concern to you and I is the real issue (at least here in the blessed South): tailgating. Literally, there will be people up at 6:00 AM on game day to start tailgating. Which really means to start drinking. But who am I to judge? Anyway, there are a number of other things that go on at tailgates, so I'm told - eating, [more drinking], impromptu games of catch, [more drinking], general obnoxiousness and tomfoolery, etc. (punctuated with a little more booze). The aftermath, other than wicked hangovers and regrettable decisions, is something like this: Note the location of this mess - campus. Yes, friends, the University of Georgia doesn't have an open container law on campus, meaning that many a drunken alumni will be stumbling around old stomping grounds, making outrageous claims, and attempting to grope coeds. Can't wait for Saturday.

Oh yeah, there's a game too. We here at UGA have the noble bulldog as our beloved mascot. The current incarnation of our mascot is named Uga VI. Apparently, Ugas I-V have passed on - God rest their canine souls. Uga VI is still going strong, and apparently his predecessor (aptly named Uga V) was a surly old chap. The best part about it all is that photo lives on in UGA infamy, cherished only slightly less than the annual Civil War reenactment at Stone Mountain (just kidding...at least, I can't substantiate the reenactment claim. I just thought it'd make the story better). The moral of the whole story is that at an SEC football game, anything can happen. And it probably will. More stories to come, to say the least.

Missing you all much.

3 comments:

  1. Waffle House, tailgating and bulldogs! You have found nirvana!
    Seriously though, I've been to a Waffle House here in Phoenix and also one in Tucson, and I'm betting that Waffle House Arizona style doesn't hold a candle to Waffle House Athens style! Just a guess.
    So, what's the typical tailgating food menu look like? And who is the first opponent, er victim, for the mighty Bulldogs?
    Any severe weather courtesy of Hurricane Ernesto? I heard it had been downgraded to a tropical storm, but could redevelop into a hurricane. Hope you're not being affected too severely.
    Thanks for the continued updates and cultural enlightenment. Good stuff!
    Love, Pops

    ReplyDelete
  2. bro,
    that waffle house pick was supreme. i feel like i was there (and wish i actually was even more).
    Asher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear stories from the game. Don't drink too much so you can clearly remember them. Will they be on any national TV this year? If so, let us know and we'll watch for you. :-)

    ReplyDelete